When I was six or seven, the small congregation at my grandfather’s church gathered just before Thanksgiving to share what they were thankful for. It was kind of a game, where one person would offer a quick story or a few words and then call on someone across the room to go next. At one point some church elder, who was far enough removed from my everyday life to be fooled by my cuteness, called on me.
I had no idea what to say, so Mom leaned over and whispered something in my ear. Grinning proudly, I said, “I’m thankful that I can talk.”
And everyone laughed knowingly. Because, as my grandfather proceeded to point out, I was awake for 15 hours a day and talked for 16 of them. And I didn’t just talk; I talked loudly.
The chattering hasn’t stopped. However, not long after that I discovered writing – and then blogging – as an outlet for my non-stop brain, so the verbal onslaught has been brought somewhat under control. Now the more colorful ideas are put down here, because they’re a bit too random for the average face-to-face conversation.
I am a dreamer, a dabbler, and a procrastinator on a life-long reform plan. My greatest passion is stories: discovering new ones, making up stories for people I pass, sharing ones I’ve collected, and weaving (somewhat haphazardly) my own. Since I first learned to rely on the magic of words to get through my 8th grade composition class, words have been the surest way to wake me up and get me excited.
When I’m not working or writing, I can be found with my nose in my book, in the kitchen playing with food, barefoot in a puddle, cuddling my dog, or talking to my compost worms.
A bit about the alter ego: I love symbolism. Phoebe means “bright; shining” and Ava means “bird”, and Light vs. Dark and birds are some of the most symbolic things around. Phoebe is also an ancestor’s name.
More fun facts:
- I am a nemophile, nelipot, heliophile, bibliophile, and sesquipedalian.
- As far as fandoms go, I am a Ravenclaw and a Candor.
- If I held a position with Star Fleet, it would be as a zenolinguist.
- I am equal parts Anne Shirley, Lizzie Bennet, Jo March, Meg Murry, and Princess Belle.
- I have a bad habit of killing houseplants by one of two extremes: absentminded neglect or obsessive over-attention.
- Because I like labeling myself, I most relate to the INTP-T and Melancholic personality types.